- Blog: “Mud-Luscious”: Some Thoughts on Messy Play
- Blog: Playing with Sticks: A Childhood Tradition
- Blog: Science Play with an Award-winning Toy
- Tip Sheet: Young Children Need to Play!
- Tip Sheet: Time to Play, Time to Dream: Unscheduling Your Child
- Tip Sheet: Fun at Home with Preschoolers: Play with Light & Shadow
- Tip Sheet: Games for All Young Children
- Tip Sheet: Make Room for Blocks!
- Tip Sheet: What Makes a Good Toy?
Good Toys for Young Children by Age and Stage
This resource developed by the National Association for the Education of Young Children notes that the best toys are those that can be played with in many different ways and that are age-appropriate in terms of safety.
Creating a “Yes” Environment
This article by an experienced teacher explains that a classroom should be an environment where children are able to feel successful through opportunities to explore without the limitations of adult expectations.
“Fixing Puppets So They Can Talk”: Puppets and Puppet Making in a Classroom of Preschoolers with Special Needs (Spanish)
This article by the Early Childhood Research and Practice journal describes how a classroom of young children with special needs engaged with puppets and puppet-making.
When 2-Year-Olds and 3-Year-Olds Think Like Scientists (Spanish | Chinese)
Videos serve as discussion points in this journal article by Early Childhood Research and Practice. In the videos, children solve problems they encounter during play.
The National Toy Hall of Fame
The National Toy Hall of Fame recognizes toys that have inspired creative play and enjoyed popularity over a sustained period. Each year, the prestigious hall inducts new honorees and showcases both new and historic versions of classic toys beloved by generations.
Still Teaching in the Key of Life: Joyful Stories from Early Childhood Settings
Mimi Brodsky Chenfeld
Redleaf Press, 2013
To play or not to play: Is it really a question?
Christine Jeandheur Ferguson and Ernest Dettore
Association for Childhood Education International, 2007
Nature and young children: Encouraging creative play and learning in natural environments (3rd edition)