About this resourceReviewed: 2017
- Tip Sheet: Small Child, Big Stress?
- Tip Sheet: When Children Mourn
- Tip Sheet: Young Children’s Mental Health: What Is Essential?
- Q&A: Teachers Can Support Young Children’s Mental Health
- Stress and Trauma in Young Children
This topical guide on stress and trauma in young children will introduce you to important books, videos, and information resources available from the EI Clearinghouse.
- Providing Trauma-Informed Supports This blog post from the EI Clearinghouse provides information on the impact of trauma on young children and strategies that caregivers can use to help young children.
- Promoting Protective Factors for Children Exposed to Domestic Violence: A Guide for Practitioners
This factsheet presents information from a review of current research linking protective factors to well-being for children exposed to domestic violence. Topics include individual skills and capacities that can improve the well-being of children exposed to violence; how parents, guardians, and others can contribute to the well-being of these children; creating supportive communities; and strategies for practitioners.
- Domestic Violence and the Child Welfare System
This factsheet from the Child Welfare Information Gateway discusses the extent of the overlap between domestic violence and child welfare, some of the effects of domestic violence on child witnesses, and the trend toward a more collaborative, community-wide response to the issue.
- How to Support a Child Who Has Witnessed Violence
This brief list from the Child Witness to Violence Project suggests ways that care providers can help.
- Safe from the Start: Taking Action on Children Exposed to Violence
This publication from the U.S. Department of Justice describes an action plan that outlines principles for preventing and reducing the negative impact of the exposure to violence on children.
- APA Publications:Children, Violence and Trauma
The American Psychological Association’s ACT program helps build safe and strong families.
- Child Trauma Toolkit for Educators
What can be done at school to help a traumatized child? This online publication from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network includes descriptions of the effects and suggestions for the child’s teachers.