About this resourceReviewed: 2017
- Tip Sheet: Helping Preschoolers Learn in Two Languages
- Tip Sheet: Helping Your Child Learn in Two Languages
- Blog: Welcoming Parents of Dual Language Learners to Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Blog: Creating a Language-Rich Classroom for Young Dual Language Learners (DLLs)
- Blog: Creating Books With Young Dual Language Learners
- Podcast: Language and Literacy in Inclusive Early Childhood Programs
- Illinois Early Learning and Development Standards: English Language Learner Home Language Development
- Supporting Dual Language Learners in Early Childhood
This topical guide on supporting dual language learners in early childhood will introduce you to important books, videos, and information resources available from the EI Clearinghouse.
- Early Literacy Instruction for ELLs
These resources from Colorin Colorado provide guidance on how to build a foundation for literacy development as well as guidance on using a child’s native language as part of their literacy development. Also available in Spanish.
- Help! Kit for Grades Pre-K – 6
This kit for primary teachers from ESCORT can be downloaded from the web. It includes ideas for recommended teaching strategies, lesson plans, and materials.
- What Does Research Tell Us About Teaching Reading to English Language Learners?
This article provides a synthesis of research, and provides information on phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension in young English language learners.
- The Combine Project: An Experience in a Dual-Language Classroom
This article, by Rebecca Wilson, from the Early Childhood Research and Practice journal describes what happened when a bilingual kindergarten class in West Liberty, Iowa, investigated a combine. The dual-language program supports content area instruction in both Spanish and English.