- Tip Sheet: Encouraging Words
- Tip Sheet: Feelings Are Fantastic
- Tip Sheet: Fuss Management: Comforting the Irritable Child
- Tip Sheet: Fuss Management: Planning Ahead to Prevent Tantrums
- Tip Sheet: Helping Children Develop “Impulse Control”
- Tip Sheet: Helping the Often-Angry Child
- Tip Sheet: Positive Guidance for Young Children: Be Consistent
- Tip Sheet: Positive Guidance for Young Children: Be Thoughtful
- Tip Sheet: Positive Guidance for Young Children: Plan Ahead
- Tip Sheet: Positive Guidance for Young Children: Take a Break and Calm Down
- Challenging Behavior
This topical guide will introduce you to important books, videos, and information resources available from the EI Clearinghouse.
- Dealing with Temper Tantrums
Two-year-olds may express their frustration or anger with a tantrum. This tip sheet by the Child Welfare Information Gateway explains how parents can prevent and diffuse temper tantrums.
- Understanding Children: Temper Tantrums
This parent resource developed by the Iowa State University Extension and Outreach helps parents understand the causes of temper tantrums and ways to plan ahead to help prevent them.
- Understanding Children: Disciplining Your Toddler
This resource developed by the Iowa State University Extension and Outreach explains that disciplining a toddler isn’t easy, but understanding the reasons for the behavior and keeping your goals for your toddler’s development in mind can help.
- A Temper, A Tantrum
This publication by the Oklahoma State Department of Health explains that understanding why tantrums happen and knowing how to respond, helps parents reduce the number and intensity of tantrums.
- Disciplining Your Toddler
Here are suggestions from KidsHealth for setting limits that will help prevent future discipline problems. (Also available in Spanish.)
- What NOT to Do When Your Child Is Having a Tantrum
This article from ChildMind Institute provides tips on responding to difficult toddler behavior