- Collecting and Using Work Samples (video)
This five-minute video, from the Head Start community, describes how to collect and use work samples to document children’s learning in the preschool classroom.
- Performance Assessment in Early Childhood Education: The Work Sampling System
In this Eric digest, Sam Meisels describes the Work Sampling System and explains how testing of young children can be used inappropriately, resulting in inaccurate results and poor teaching.
- Work Sampling System
This report from FairTest describes the Work Sampling System as a means of documentation and evaluation as well as reporting.
- Assessment Basics: From Observation to Instruction
This article from the University of Maine advocates the use of developmentally appropriate assessment to support learning through the process of gathering information related to a child’s development and learning style
- A Developmental Approach to Assessment of Young Children
In this Eric digest, Dr. Lilian Katz clarifies the main purposes for which children are typically assessed and discusses the relationship between assessment and instruction.
- The Contribution of Documentation to the Quality of Early Childhood Education
In this Eric digest, the authors describe six ways that documentation can contribute to the depth of children’s learning.
Type of resource:
- Resource List
Setting(s) for which the article is intended:
- Preschool Program
- Teachers / Service providers
Age Levels (the age of the children to whom the article applies):
- Preschoolers (Age 3 Through Age 5)