About this resourceReviewed: 2018Going to Kindergarten?
Going to Kindergarten?
Getting required health checks, practicing key skills, and visiting your new school can help your child make a smooth transition.
- Time for a checkup
- Children entering kindergarten must have a physical exam, dental exam, and eye exam.
- Immunizations are required for kindergarten entry. Talk to your health care provider or call the Illinois Public Health Department at (217) 782-4977 if you aren’t sure which immunizations are required.
- Visit your new school
- Call the school office if you have questions about what to expect.
- Attend special visiting days your school may offer for parents and children, including kindergarten screenings.
- Practice kindergarten skills
- Explore pencils, crayons, and child-size scissors
- Practice saying full name and how you get to and from school
- Hang up a coat, go to the toilet, and wash hands without help
- Follow simple rules and take turns
- What if my child needs special help?
Some children need extra support. Call your local school district office to find out about developmental screenings and other services.