Things to Do While You’re Waiting: Get Physical
Keep children engaged when you have to wait
- Let’s pretend!
Flop your bodies like rag dolls. Then be stiff like robots.
- Time to play!
Fingerplays, clapping games, and songs get hands moving.
- Challenge time!
Make up challenges: “Stand on one foot while I count to 10.”
- Snuggle up!
Sometimes hugging is the best physical activity.
Related IEL Resources
- Tip Sheet: Building Endurance: Let’s Get Physical!
- Tip Sheet: Games for All Young Children
- Video: Experimenting with Balance
Related Web Resources
Setting(s) for which the article is intended:
- Child Care Center
- Family Child Care
- Preschool Program
- Parents / Family
- Teachers / Service providers
Age Levels (the age of the children to whom the article applies):
- Infants and Toddlers (Birth To Age 3)
- Preschoolers (Age 3 Through Age 5)