This list contains a variety of resources associated with moving from Early Intervention to PreK for parents and caregivers.
- Tip Sheet: Inclusion in Preschool Classrooms
- Tip Sheet: Understanding and Accepting Differences: Why Can’t Maria Walk?
- Q&A: Finding Help for Young Children With Special Needs
- A Guide for Families: The Illinois Early Intervention Program
This guide explains the EI program services and eligibility. It describes the family’s role in planning services as a member of your child’s team. It also discusses family rights and answers questions that many families ask. Also in Spanish.
- Transitions in Early Intervention
This resource guide from the Illinois Early Intervention Clearinghouse provides a list of books and DVDs that are available for checkout to Illinois residents, along with additional transition resources.
- Education Rights and Responsibilities: Understanding Special Education in Illinois
This guide from the Illinois State Board of Education is for parents, teachers, administrators, and others to help them learn about the educational rights of children who have disabilities and receive special education and related services.
- Early School Transitions and the Social Behavior of Children with Disabilities: Selected Findings from the Pre-Elementary Education Longitudinal Study
This national study examines the characteristics of children receiving preschool special education, the services they receive, their transitions across educational levels, and their performance over time on assessments of academic and adaptive skills.
- Transition Is More Than a Change in Services: The Need for a Multicultural Perspective
This report by the University of Illinois discusses the transition from Early Intervention services to preschool services, which presents many challenges to children, families, service providers, and programs.
- Transition at Age 3 : Leaving the Early Intervention Program
This tip sheet from the Illinois Early Intervention Clearinghouse discusses the steps involved in a successful transition out of the early intervention system. Also in Spanish.
- When I’m 3, where will I be? A Family’s Transition Workbook
This workbook was developed by parents, early intervention, and early childhood personnel to provide information as you approach your child’s transition from Early Intervention services to early childhood services. Also in Spanish.
Type of resource:
- Resource List
Setting(s) for which the article is intended:
- Child Care Center
- Family Child Care
- Preschool Program
- Parents / Family
- Teachers / Service providers
Age Levels (the age of the children to whom the article applies):
- Preschoolers (Age 3 Through Age 5)