Read with Your Toddler!
How to share books with a busy, independent toddler.
- Let your child choose a sturdy picture book.
- Sit where you are both comfortable.
- Let your child touch the book, point to pictures, and help you turn the pages.
- Name what you see, or read the words clearly.
- Read for as long as your child is interested – 30 seconds or 10 minutes.
- Does your child get distracted? Just try again later.
Making reading a part of family life will help your child be ready to do well in school.
Related IEL Resources
- Tip Sheet: Sharing Books with Your Toddler
- Tip Sheet: The Gift of Words: Reading and Games
- Blog: Super Story Time
Related Web Resources
Setting(s) for which the article is intended:
- Family Child Care
- Parents / Family
Age Levels (the age of the children to whom the article applies):
- Infants and Toddlers (Birth To Age 3)