How to share books with a busy, independent toddler.
- Let your child choose a sturdy picture book.
- Sit where you are both comfortable.
- Let your child touch the book, point to pictures, and help you turn the pages.
- Name what you see, or read the words clearly.
- Read for as long as your child is interested – 30 seconds or 10 minutes.
- Does your child get distracted? Just try again later.
Making reading a part of family life will help your child be ready to do well in school.
- Resource List: Encouraging Literacy Development in Infants and Toddlers