Related IEL Resources
- Tip Sheet: Using Predictable Books with Young Children
- Blog: Sharing Books Can Open New Worlds
- Tip Sheet: Sharing Books with Your Baby
- Tip Sheet: Sharing Books with Your Preschooler
- Tip Sheet: Sharing Books with Your Toddler
- Blog: Choose Good Books That Accurately Reflect Cultures and Home Languages
- Q&A: Informational Books With Young Children
- Tip Sheet: Get Ready to Read
- Tip Sheet: Fun at Home with Preschoolers: Getting Ready to Read!
- Blog: Reading Stories Can Feed the Imagination and Spur Brain Development
- Blog: Super Story Time
Related Web Resources
Books for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
The Cooperative Children’s Books Center links to several lists, including ones for bilingual, family, counting, and wordless books. More books categorized according to a main characteristic, such as rhyme or repetition are listed here. Multicultural books for people of color, including African-Americans, American Indians, Asians, and Latinos can be found here. Books that have received the Charlotte Zolotow Award are listed here.
Recommended Books for Kids
Reading Rockets lists books by themes, including creatures, family, funny, and special days to help parents find ones to interest their children.
Let’s Read Together: Reading and Storytelling
The Center for Early Literacy Learning explains how parents can encourage their children’s interest in books and reading by sharing books and asking questions.
The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books
The Center for Children’s Books is a leading book review site.