This list contains a variety of resources associated with saying ‘no’ to your child.
- Tip Sheet: Encouraging Words
- Tip Sheet: Helping Children Develop “Impulse Control”
- Tip Sheet: Manners and Preschoolers
- Tip Sheet: Positive Guidance for Young Children: Be Consistent
- Tip Sheet: Positive Guidance for Young Children: Be Thoughtful
- Tip Sheet: Positive Guidance for Young Children: Plan Ahead
- Tip Sheet: Positive Guidance for Young Children: Take a Break and Calm Down
- Tip Sheet: Say What You Mean! Talking Straight to Children
- Tip Sheet: Using Words to Discipline Children
- Discipline and Limit Setting
This Zero to Three page provides information on how caregivers can help young children develop self-control and self-regulation.
- It’s Okay to Say No
This article discusses the importance of telling children “no” and how it ca help to build self-control.
- Setting Limits: Helping Children Learn Self-Regulation
This short article from PBS describes the benefits and challenges of setting limits with children. It offers do’s and don’ts and suggestions for parents to try at home.
- Your Parenting Toolbox: 7 Tools for Setting Limits with Young Children
This short article provides strategies to use when young children are acting out.
Type of resource:
- Resource List
Setting(s) for which the article is intended:
- Parents / Family
- Teachers / Service providers
Age Levels (the age of the children to whom the article applies):
- Infants and Toddlers (Birth To Age 3)
- Preschoolers (Age 3 Through Age 5)